Seattle Slew (USA), 1974
Author: Jana Nemeckova, published: 1st March 2018
Seattle Slew gained immortality as the tenth American Triple Crown winner. But unlike many others, Slew wrote one more chapter to his life which ensures his name will be spoken long after he's gone: he became a great sire.
|Bold ReasoningUSA, 1968||BoldnesianUSA, 1963||Bold RulerUSA, 1954||NasrullahGB, 1940|
|Miss DiscoUSA, 1944|
|AlanesianUSA, 1954||PolynesianUSA, 1942|
|Reason to EarnUSA, 1963||Hail to ReasonUSA, 1958||Turn-ToIRE, 1951|
|Sailing HomeUSA, 1948||Wait a BitUSA, 1939|
|Marching HomeUSA, 1932|
|My CharmerUSA, 1969||PokerUSA, 1963||Round TableUSA, 1954||PrincequilloIRE, 1940|
|Knight's DaughterGB, 1941|
|GlamourUSA, 1953||NasrullahGB, 1940|
|Fair CharmerUSA, 1959||Jet ActionUSA, 1951||Jet PilotUSA, 1944|
|Myrtle CharmUSA, 1946||AlsabUSA, 1939|
|Crepe MyrtleUSA, 1938|
For many people, Bold Reasoning remains one of the most mysterious names in pedigrees. But although he had no stellar performances behind him, he certainly didn't lack qualities: he won 8 out of his 12 starts and placed in 2 more, and won the Withers Stakes and Jersey Derby in the process; he lost the Metropolitan Handicap only by a neck. As a four-year-old, he set a new track record at Belmont Park, going six furlongs in 1:08.4. He was retired at the age of five to Claiborne Farm and spent there full breeding seasons 1973 and 1974. In April 1975, he suffered a broken pelvis in a breeding shed accident and had to be euthanized from its complications. Bold Reasoning left no more than several tens of foals, and Seattle Slew was born right from his first crop.
In the second crop, Bold Reasoning had Super Concorde, who became the French champion two-year-old colt after winning the Prix Morny and the Grand Criterium. For the record: Acamas, who was beaten by a length in the latter race, went on to win the Prix du Jockey Club the next season. Bold Reasoning died at the age of 7, and Super Concorde sadly emulated him at the age of only 12, but he left his own mark thanks to his son Big Shuffle, the champion sprinter in Ireland and multiple champion sire in Germany.
As for a little less told story, Bold Reasoning also was a damsire of Vidor, who ran third to River Lady in the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches; later she won the E.P. Taylor Stakes over the U.S. G1 winner Trevita. Allez Millord, another Bold Reasoning's grandson from the family of Nijinsky, was a G1 winner in Germany and also in the United States; he lost the Japan Cup only to Jupiter Island. And finally, Semillon, a son of Vidor's full sister, ran third in the Prix Jean Prat behind Le Balafre and Bigstone, who won no less than four G1 races. Just as a curiosity - Bold Reasoning's tail-male line runs deep to the 21st century in one more branch: via the Austrian Derby third and Slovak classic winner Pretty Princ towards a colt named Csillaghullas, who won the Hungarian Derby in 2009.
Seattle Slew's grandsire Boldnesian tends to be a little forgotten too, but he won four of his five starts, including the Santa Anita Derby, before injury forced him into retirement; he sired Bold Ruckus and became a damsire of Law Society and Skywalker, and the fourth sire of English Channel. Among horses he influenced are also champion filly Miss Alleged, the Kentucky Oaks winner Lemons Forever, and the Kentucky Derby winner and champion Smarty Jones, to name only his greatest achievements.
My Charmer won six starts and placed or showed in six more; she won the Fair Grounds Oaks G2. She was by a good stayer Poker, who defeated Buckpasser in the 1967 Bowling Green Handicap; Poker wasn't any successful sire though - his only other classic winner was his grandson Silver Charm, the champion three-year-old colt in 1997. My Charmer produced six winners, and aside Seattle Slew, who was her first foal, she gave birth to Lomond and Seattle Dancer. Lomond by Northern Dancer won the Two Thousand Guineas in 1983 over top miler Tolomeo, and ran second in the Irish equivalent to another proven G1 miler Wassl; Seattle Dancer by Nijinsky was a double G2 winner and ran second in the G1 Grand Prix de Paris, defeating Trempolino, who won the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe later in the season. Lomond became a very good sire on his own - he sired classic-winning fillies Dark Lomond and Marling, and became a damsire of stallions Inchinor and Exceed and Excel, among others.
My Charmer's daughters were good producers too. Clandestina by Secretariat produced the Yorkshire Oaks G1 second Bineyah, Charming Tiara by Alydar is the third dam of popular multiple G1-placed gelding Caixa Eletronica, and Ghashtah by Nijinsky brought family well into the 21st century on a great level. as her granddaughter Nasheej ran third in the One Thousand Guineas 2006, and her descendant Awtaad won the Irish 2000 Guineas in 2016, and ran third in the St. James's Palace Stakes the same year.
Seattle Slew's granddam Fair Charmer won once from four tries, but produced five winners from as many starters, including the stakes-placed filly Sweetiest Charm by Poker.
Crepe Myrtle was another small winner in the family, and her best foal from three winners was Myrtle's Jet by Jet Pilot. She won both the Frizette Stakes and Alcibiades Stakes, and placed in many other top races, including the Distaff Handicap. She was a rival to the champion filly High Voltage, and also to War Admiral's daughter Searching, later great broodmare. Another good foal out of Crepe Myrtle was Never Give In, a son of Never Say Die, who ran second in the Wood Memorial to Francis S, and in the Widener Handicap a year later.
Myrtlewood, on the other hand, was both the champion sprinter and champion handicap female in 1936, and won or equaled five track records - one of them was new world record 1:09 2/5 for six furlongs in Arlington. She spread the family of her superior granddam Frizette into many successful branches - including the one of Miss Dogwood, who became the third dam of Mr. Prospector. But this is already a story for another article.
Seattle Slew's racing career is more than well documented. He had only three starts as a two-year-old, including his maiden victory by five lengths, and the Champagne Stakes victory by almost ten lengths. He was subsequently named the champion two-year-old colt. In his three-year-old debut, he broke a seven-furlong track record at Hialeah and won by nine lengths; only two weeks later, he won the Flamingo Stakes by four lengths in the third fastest time ever. One month later Slew added the Wood Memorial Stakes score by almost four lengths as his final Triple Crown preparation.
Slew's Triple Crown races went into the history books, as he became the first unbeaten winner of all three legs. For the record: he won the Kentucky Derby by 1 3/4 lengths over Run Dusty Run, the Preakness by 1 1/2 lengths over Cormorant and Run Dusty Run, and the Belmont by 4 lengths over Run Dusty Run. This bay horse, by the way, was a G1 winner at two, and at the age of three, he ran second in four G1 races, including the Blue Grass Stakes and the Travers Stakes, so he was really no fluke in Seattle Slew's Triple Crown races. Slew's achievement, however, didn't last much longer, as he succumbed to a very fast pace set by J.O. Tobin in the Swaps Stakes, and tired badly to finish fourth. J.O. Tobin, former top European two-year-old and a rival to Blushing Groom, set a new stakes record of 1:58.60 in his eight-length victory. Seattle Slew was rested for the rest of the year and was subsequently voted both the champion three-year-old colt and the Horse of the Year.
Slew's return was badly delayed by mysterious health problems, which were reportedly caused by a collapsed jugular vein, and his team was even advised never to race the colt again. However, Slew returned in two allowance races, which he won by a combined margin of almost 15 lengths. He subsequently lost the Paterson Handicap to Dr. Patches - a horse who won the Vosburgh Handicap later in the season, and in the next two years, he placed in such races as the Vosburgh Stakes, Metropolitan Handicap, Whitney Stakes, Tom Fool Stakes, Forego Handicap and the Stuyvesant Handicap. In the meantime, America got a new hero in Affirmed, who won the Triple Crown against his great rival Alydar, and the inevitable dream of any racing fan was set to happen: the first ever match of two Triple Crown winners was arranged for the Marlboro Cup Handicap. Against all odds - his complicated return and Affirmed's fantastic performances - Seattle Slew held of his great rival by three lengths in the time of 1:45.80, which was only 2/5 off the Secretariat's track record. And Slew proved he's definitely back in his top form by winning the Woodward Stakes by four lengths two weeks later.
The Triple Crown heroes met for the second time in the Jockey Club Gold Cup, but it was a former French classic winner and 11-times G1 winner Exceller, who won the race; he defeated Slew by a nose after he set a suicidal pace for the 1 1/2 miles long race. Affirmed finished fifth due to a slipped saddle. In his final appearance, Seattle Slew won the Stuyvesant Handicap by more than three lengths, carrying 134 pounds - Jumping Hill, who ran second, wore 19 pounds less than the winner. It would be hard to vote anybody else than the Triple Crown winner as the Horse of the Year, but Seattle Slew was voted at least the champion older male of 1978, earning the top honors for his crop for the third year in a row.
In his first crop in 1980, Seattle Slew had four G1 winners, two of them two-year-olds, and one champion. Probably more than enough to answer any question about his qualities, but this crop also wrote one story which the racing world never forgot. A bay filly named Landaluce was the very first of Slew's progeny who stunned the racing world - in all ways: she convincingly won her debut race, and in July, she demolished the field of the Hollywood Lassie Stakes by unbelievable 21 lengths. In her next race, she won the Del Mar Debutante by 6 1/2 lengths, and was eased a bit for the G3 Anoakia Stakes, which she won by 8 (sometimes mentioned 10) lengths. In what turned out to be her final career start, she won the Oak Leaf Stakes G1. But her miraculous career was cut very short, as she contracted colitis X in November, and died within several days. She was posthumously voted the U.S. Champion two-year-old filly and is still celebrated as one of the best juvenile fillies ever.
Slewpy won the Young America Stakes G1 at the age of two, but he holds one more primacy: he was the first who gave the racing world striking resemblance of his dark bay sire - a mark which accompanied many Slew's sons during his whole stud career. Slewpy ran third in the Louisiana Derby at the age of three, but reportedly was sent to run in the Epsom Derby and finished 18th, which was neither orthodox nor probably very wise choice. Slewpy went on to win the Paterson Handicap the same season - the very same race Slew lost to Dr. Patches - and at the age of four, he added his second G1 victory in the Meadowlands Cup Handicap. He was retired at the age of five and brought one more surprise, which many Slew's sons also followed: he was quite a failure at stud. He became only the damsire of two international stars in Helissio and Falbrav.
Slew o'Gold was a winner at two, but he actually replaced Slewpy as the top horse for the Triple Crown. He finished fourth in the Kentucky Derby behind Sunny's Halo and second in the Belmont Stakes behind Caveat, but his top form was yet to come. He ran third in the Travers Stakes, won the Woodward Stakes and the Jockey Club Gold Cup, and ran second in the Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap, which earned him the title of the Champion three-year-old colt. As a four-year-old, Slew o'Gold returned to the racetrack in July but had a magnificent autumn form just like the previous year. He won four G1 races - the Woodward Stakes, Whitney Handicap, Jockey Club Gold Cup and Marlboro Cup, and ended up his racing career as one of the participants of memorable finish of the inaugural running of the Breeders' Cup Classic - and was placed second behind Wild Again, after the disqualification of Gate Dancer. Slew o'Gold was one of the best sons of Slew at stud - he produced numerous G1 horses in the next three generations, although only two classic winners in Drosselmeyer and The Gurkha.
The fourth memorable member of the crop was Adored, who gained her best form even later, at the age of four and five. She was a double G1 winner from the Delaware Handicap and Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap - and had the honor of defeating Weekend Surprise in both these races. Who could new that this thin filly will become the most remembered partner of Seattle Slew, after producing A.P. Indy? Adored was also there for the inaugural Breeders' Cup, and finished honorable third behind champion fillies Princess Rooney and Life's Magic. Adored actually defeated Princess Rooney in 1984 twice, but only in two G2 races, and that's where she closed her career in 1985 too. Adored was a producer, but her best foal was a G3-winning filly Compassionate.
The last memorable member of the crop was Slewacide, a non-winner at the racetrack, who sired millionaire Slew of Damascus, but didn't get a real attention until 2003, when his grandson Funny Cide emerged from nowhere in the Louisiana Derby - and shockingly chased home heavily favored Empire Maker in the Wood Memorial G1. Funny Cide defeated his royally-bred rival in the Kentucky Derby, and after winning the Preakness Stakes, he became real people's champion, It never changed - neither by his defeat in the Belmont Stakes, nor any later. Funny Cide was voted the U.S. Champion three-year-old colt and ran many more respectable efforts, including the victory in the Jockey Club Gold Cup a year later.
The 1981 crop brought a real son of his sire in Swale, an almost black colt, who shined since his juvenile season. He won the Futurity Stakes and the Young America Stakes G1, and two other G2 races; he lost only the Hopeful Stakes G1, and also the championship honors, which were earned by Devil's Bag. Swale lost two of his preparations races at three due to health issues and sloppy track but won the Florida Derby G1 against proven G1 horse Dr. Carter. Swale emulated his sire by winning the Kentucky Derby, but ran uncharacteristically seventh in the Preakness; he rebounded to win the Belmont Stakes. Eight days after the race Swale collapsed following his bath and died. For the second time in the first two crops, Seattle Slew's offspring was voted the American champion horse, but it had to be done posthumously.
Seattle Song was a whole different story. He was selected by Francois Bouting and bought by him for Stavros Niarchos at the Keeneland yearling sale, and sent to France. He won Prix de la Salamandre G1 at two, defeating top European two-year-old and future French classic winner Siberian Express, but somehow couldn't find his best form until autumn of the next year. He lost the Irish Champion Stakes only to great Sadler's Wells, who was able to hold the victory by 3/4 lengths; and was subsequently sent to the United States for the Washington D.C. International. He won the race over proven local turf filly Persian Tiara and Strawberry Road, a multiple G1 winner from Australia. Seattle Song broke his left cannon bone in preparation for the inaugural Breeders' Cup Turf and was retired to stud. He had very limited success, with the only exception - a broodmare named Cee's Song, who proved a really unexpected jewel of the American breeding. Her most successful son was the double Breeders' Cup Classic winner and Horse of the Year Tiznow, but let's not forget the whole army around him: Budroyale, who ran second in the Breeders' Cup Classic to Cat Thief, and G2 winners Tizbud and Tizdubai. Their full sister Tizso produced a classic-placed G1 winner Paynter, and just one more year later, Tizamazing added the Preakness Stakes winner and the Belmont Stakes second Oxbow. A hell of a record for a rather obscure mare.
With broodmares Royal Strait Flush (full sister to Landaluce) and Tilting, 1981 was also the crop which prefigured one more thing: Seattle Slew was going to become excellent damsire. And after a brief look at the members of the next crop, 1982, many fans would approve that its most important member was a broodmare - by the name of Solar Slew, a future dam of mighty Cigar.
To anticipate a little bit, Cigar became double Horse of the Year, and so did another Seattle Slew's grandson, who had origins in this crop. Gold Meridian was only a G3-placed colt in Great Britain, and to be honest, also less than mediocre sire. But his daughter Tee Kay, when mated to Kris S, produced a striking black colt named Symboli Kris S - second from the Japanese Derby, and winner of two editions of the Arima Kinen and Tenno Sho (Autumn). Symboli Kris S was not only voted the champion of his own crop at the age of three and four, but also the Horse of the Year in both seasons.
However, 1982 was a little bit of calming down, and 1983 continued in this trend, with the only exception: Life at the Top. Many of Slew's foals were actually born out of really top broodmares and families, and Life at the Top was no exception, as her dam was a half-sister to Bold Forbes. And Life at the Top was no shame to her family: during her sophomore campaign, she ran on the board in no less than 13 grade races, including three G1 victories, but the championship honors went to Tiffany Lass, who defeated her in the Kentucky Oaks - one of her five stakes victories this season. Unlike Adored, Life at the Top continued her family with pride, having at least a G2 winner in each generation so far.
The king of the 1984 crop was Capote, a half-brother to no-one else than Slew's old rival Exceller. Although a really top class horse, Exceller was never voted the champion racehorse - but Capote was, and right in his juvenile season. He won three of his four starts that year, including the Norfolk Stakes, but more importantly, he defeated a stellar field in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile: Qualify - who won the G1 Del Mar Futurity, Alysheba - who was beaten by a neck in the G1 Hollywood Futurity, Bet Twice - who won both G1 Laurel Futurity and Arlington-Washington Futurity, Gulch - who won both G1 Hopeful Stakes and Futurity Stakes, Polis Navy - who won both G1 Champagne Stakes and Cowdin Stakes, and Demons Begone, who placed second in the Champagne Stakes and Futurity Stakes. Capote won this race by 1 1/4 lengths, leaving no doubts who deserves to be crowned a champion. However, Capote never won another race, and could only finish sixteenth in the Kentucky Derby. He did much better at stud, where he sired Boston Harbor and became a damsire of Dixie Union.
Slew City Slew, on the other hand, had no great family and was also no precocious colt like Capote. He was a mere G3 winner even after his four-year-old season - but there were two signs something's going on. First of all, Slew City Slew defeated Bet Twice in the Salvator Mile Handicap - and former classic winner Bet Twice was still multiple G1-placed this season. And in the second place, Slew City Slew forced Alysheba, who was voted the Horse of the Year for this season, to run a new track record in the Meadowlands Cup Handicap - 1:58.50 for ten furlongs, and got defeated only by a neck. In 1989, at the age of five, Slew City Slew became a legitimate top handicap horse, by winning both the G1 Oaklawn Handicap and Gulfstream Park Handicap, defeating Cryptoclearance in the latter one; he ran second behind him in two more G1 races, and third in the Meadowlands Cup Handicap G1. Slew City Slew joined the weaker team among Slew's sons at stud, but just like Slewacide and Slewpy, he got his big hero too: the Californian champion Lava Man, a former claimer, who ended his career as seven-times G1 winner on both dirt and turf.
To be continued...
- Dark bay or brown horse, February 15, 1974 – May 7, 2002
- Breeder: Rex Ben S. Castleman
- Owner: Mickey and Karen L. Taylor, Tayhill Stable / Jim Hill etc.
- Trainer: William H. Turner Jr, Douglas R. Peterson
- 17 starts: 14 - 2 - 0, $1,208,726
- Winner: maiden (6f), allowance, Champagne Stakes (1m); allowance (7f), Flamingo Stakes (9f), Wood Memorial (9f), Kentucky Derby (10f), Preakness Stakes (9.5f), Belmont Stakes (12f); allowance, allowance (7f), Marlboro Cup Handicap (9f), Woodward Stakes (10f), Stuyvesant Handicap (9f)
- Second: Paterson Handicap (9f) to Dr. Patches, Jockey Club Gold Cup (12f) to Exceller
- Fourth: Swaps Stakes (9f) to J.O. Tobin
- U.S. champion two-year-old colt 1976
- 10th U.S. Triple Crown winner
- U.S. champion three-year-old colt 1977
- U.S. Horse of the year 1977
- U.s. champion older male 1978
- Retired to Spendthrift Farm; moved to Three Chimneys Farm in 1985.
- Died in his sleep at the age of 28 - on the 25th anniversary of his Kentucky Derby victory.
- Leading sire in North America 1984
- Leading broodmare sire in North America 1995, 1996
- Adored - b.f. out of Desiree by Raise a Native
- 1. Delaware Handicap G1, Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap G1, Hawthorne Handicap G2 - 2x, Milady Handicap G2 - 2x, Santa Maria Handicap G2; 2. Vanity Handicap G1, Beverly Hills Handicap G2, Ballerina Handicap G2; 3. Breeders' Cup Distaff G1, Ruffian Handicap G1
- Landaluce - dkb.f. out of Strip Poker by Bold Bidder
- 1. Oak Leaf Stakes G1, Del Mar Debutante G2, Hollywood Lassie Stakes G2. Champion two-year-old filly.
- Slew o' Gold - b.c. out of Alluvial by Buckpasser
- 1. Wood Memorial Stakes G1 (2nd div.), Woodward Stakes G1 - 2x, Jockey Club Gold Cup G1 - 2x, Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap G1, Whitney Handicap G1, Peter Pan Stakes G2; 2. Belmont Stakes G1, Travers Stakes G1, Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap G1, Breeders' Cup Classic G1. U.S. Champion three-year-old colt, U.S. champion older male 1984.
- Slewacide - b.c. out of Evasive by Buckpasser
- Slewpy - dkb.c. out og Rare Bouquet by Prince John
- 1. Young America Stakes G1, Meadowlands Cup Handicap G1, Paterson Handicap G2; 3. Louisiana Derby G2
- Royal Strait Flush - b.f. out of Strip Poker by Bold Bidder
- Dam of Jade Flush and Stydahar, granddam of Megantic, Startac and Jade Queen.
- Seattle Song - dkb.c. out of Incantation by Prince Blessed
- 1. Prix de la Salamandre G1, Washington D.C. International G1; 2. Champion Stakes G1
- Swale - br./bl.c. out of Tuerta by Forli
- 1. Young America Stakes G1, Futurity Stakes G1, Florida Derby G1, Kentucky Derby G1, Belmont Stakes G1, Breeders' Futurity G2, Saratoga Special Stakes G2; 3. Hopeful Stakes G1, Fountain of Youth Stakes G2. U.S. Champion three-year-old colt.
- Tilting - dkb.f. out of Aldonza by Bold Bidder
- Dam of Dawn Quixote, Basma and Seattle Morn.
- Gold Meridian - dkb.c. out of Queen Louie by Crimson Satan
- Khozaam - b.c. out of Par Excellance by L'Enjoleur
- 2. Royal Lodge Stakes G2
- Slew the Dragon - b.c. out of Gueniviere by Prince John
- 1. Hollywood Derby G1 (2nd div.); 2. Rutgers Handicap G2
- Solar Slew - dkb.f. out of Gold Sun by Solazo
- Dam of Mulca and Cigar, granddam of Laura's Lucky Boy and Hard Life.
- Life at the Top - b.f. out of See You at the Top by Riva Ridge
- 1. Las Virgenes Stakes G1, Mother Goose Stakes G1, Ladies Handicap G1, Long Look Handicap G2; 2. Kentucky Oaks G1, CCA Oaks G1, Gazelle Handicap G1; 3. Acorn Stakes G1, Alabama Stakes G1, Spinster Stakes G1. Dam of Elizabeth Bay, granddam of Seasons Greetings and Bayuex.
- Vernon Castle - dkb.c. out of Rullian's Princess by Prince John
- 1. California Derby G2, Del Mar Derby G2; 2. Cinema Handicap G2
- Capote - dkb.c. out of Too Bald by Bald Eagle
- 1. Breeders' Cup Juvenile G1, Norfolk Stakes G1. U.S. Champion two-year-old colt.
- Claxton's Slew - b.f. out of Nutmeg Native by Raise a Native
- 3. Pretty Polly Stakes G2. Dam of Escena.
- Slew City Slew - dkb.c. out of Weber City Miss by Berkley Prince
- 1. Gulfstream Park Handicap G1, Oaklawn Handicap G1; 2. Meadowlands Cup Handicap G1, Donn Handicap G1, Widener Handicap G1; 3. Meadowlands Cup Handicap G1
- Slew Princess - b.f. out of Lillian Russell by Prince John
- Dam of Slew Gin Fizz and Igotrhythm, granddam of Sakura Gospel.
- Bitooh - b.f. out of It's In the Air by Mr. Prospector
- 1. Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte G2
- Glowing Honor - dkb.f. out of Glowing Tribute by Graustark
- 1. Diana Handicap G2 - 2x; 3. Queen Elizabeth II. Challenge Cup Invitational Stakes G2
- Magic of Life - dkb.f. out of Larida by Northern Dancer
- 1. Coronation Stakes G1, Mill Reef Stakes G2. Dam of Enthused, granddam of Chunyi, Norman Invader, Nova Hawk and Inara.
- Fast Play - dkb.c. out of Con Game by Buckpasser
- 1. Remsen Stakes G1, Breeders' Futurity Stakes G2; 2. Hopeful Stakes G1, Jerome Handicap G1, Jim Dandy Stakes G2; 3. Futurity Stakes G1, Pegasus Handicap G1
- Houston - b.c. out of Smart Angle by Quadrangle
- 1. Bay Shore Stakes G2; 2. Tom Fool Stakes G2
- Mysteries - b.f. out of Phydilla by Lyphard
- Dam of Hishi Akebono and Agnes World, granddam of Dubai Destination, Librettist and Secret Number.
- Oscillate - b.f. out of Dance Number by Northern Dancer
- Dam of Mutakddim and Smooth Charmer, granddam of Settlement, Frost Giant, Sea Chanter and Kavanagh.
- Seattle Meteor - b.f. out of Northern Meteor by Northern Dancer
- 1. Spinaway Stakes G1; 2. Bonnie Miss Stakes G1, Matron Stakes G1; 3. Alcibiades Stakes G2. Dam of Demeteor.
- Tokatee - b.c. out of Misukaw by Northern Dancer
- 1. Razorback Handicap G2; 3. Col. F.W. Koester Handicap G2
- Seattle Dawn - b.f. by Grey Dawn out of Embellished
- 1. Delaware Handicap G2; 2. Long Look Handicap G2
- Charming Lassie - b.f. out of Lassie Dear by Buckpasser
- Dam of Brulay, Lemond Drop Kid and Statue of Liberty, granddam of Neko Bay.
- Digression - b.c. out of Double Axle by The Axe
- 1. Royal Lodge Stakes G2; 2. Bel Air Handicap G2
- Hail Atlantis - b.f. out of Flippers by Coastal
- 1. Santa Anita Oaks G1. Dam of Stormy Atlantic, granddam of Dr. Arbatach, Atlando, Bandini, Incanto Dream, Stern Opinion
- Hug a Slew - b.f. out of Huggle Duggle by Never Bend
- Dam of Seattle Fitz and Fantastica Roma, granddam of Honey Nov and Fantastic Royale.
- In Full Cry - dkb.f. out of In Hot Pursuit by Bold Ruler
- 2. Adirondack Stakes G2. Dam of Ahla Wasahl, granddam of Menhoubah.
- Leo's Lucky Lady - b.f. out of Konafa by Damascus
- Dam of Leo's Luckyman and Gaudeaumus, granddam of Battle Force.
- Seaside Attraction - b.f. out of Kamar by Key to the Mint
- 1. Kentucky Oaks G1; 3. Acorn Stakes G1. Dam of Red Carnival, Golden Attraction and Cape Town, granddam of Carnival Dancer, Funfair and Desert Lord.
- Septieme Ciel - b.c. out of Maximova by Green Dancer
- 1. Prix de la Foret G1, Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte G2; 2. Hollywood Derby G1; 3. Prix Jean Prat G1
- Yonder - b.c. out of Far by Forli
- 1. Remsen Stakes G2, Jersey Derby G2; 3. Jim Beam Stakes G2, Niagara Stakes G2
- Dawn Quixote - ch.c. by Grey Dawn out of Tilting
- 3. Futurity Stakes G1
- Avenue of Flags - dkb.c. out of Beautiful Glass by Pass the Glass
- 2. Hollywood Juvenile Championship G2
- Compelling Sound - br./bl.c. out of Cheyenne Birdsong by Restless Wind
- 3. San Felipe Stakes G2, Swaps Stakes G2
- General Meeting - b.c. out of Alydar's Promise by Alydar
- 2. Hollywood Futurity G1
- Outlasting - b.f. out of Outstandingly by Exclusive Native
- 3. Bonnie Miss Stakes G2. Dam of Fortitude
- Seattle Bound - b.c. out of Mirthful Flirt by Raise a Native
- 2. Northern Dancer BC Handicap G2; 3. King Edward BC Handicap G2
- Slewvescent - b.c. out of Our Mims by Herbager
- Smooth Performance - b.c. out of Seasonal Pickup by The Minstrel
- 2. Dwyer Stakes G2
- Fraar - b.c. by Topsider out of Alchaasibiyeh
- 1. Caulfield Cup G1; 2. VRC Mackinnon Stakes G1, St. George Stakes G2; 3. Australian Cup G1, C.F. Orr Stakes G1, Moonee Valley Cup G2
- Mulca - dkb.f. by Raised Socially our of Solar Slew
- 1. Clasico Roberto Clemente G2, Clasico Prensa Hipica G2; 2. Accion de Gracias G2, Clasico Roberto Clemente G2. Puerto Rican champion three-year-old imported filly.
- A.P. Indy - dkb.c. out of Weekend Surprise by Secretariat
- 1. Hollywood Futurity G1, Santa Anita Derby G1, Belmont Stakes G1, Breeders' Cup Classic G1, San Rafael Stakes G2, Peter Pan Stkaes G2; 3. Jockey Club Gold Cup G1. U.S. champion three-year-old colt & Horse of the Year 1992.
- Alvear - dkb.f. out of Andover Way by His Majesty
- Dam of Offlee Wild and Sangrita, granddam of Eden Praire and Tequilita.
- Hickman Creek - b.c. out of Miss Betty by Buckpasser
- 3. San Felipe Stakes G2
- American Chance - dkb.c. by Cure the Blues out of American Dance
- 1. Jersey Derby G2, Forego Handicap G2; 2. Vosburgh Stakes G1, Illinois Derby G2, Commonwealth BC Stakes G2; 3. Meadowlands Cup Handicap G1
- Basma - b.f. by Grey Dawn out of Tilting
- 3. Cheveley Park Stakes G1
- Political Fact - ch.c. by Trempolino out of Hire a Brain
- 3. Beresford Stakes G2
- Dantsu Seattle - b.c. out of Call Me Goddess by Prince John
- 1. Takarazuka Kinen G1
- Williamstown - dkb.c. out of Winter Sparkle by Northjet
- 1. Withers Stakes G2; 2. Jerome Handicap G1, King's Bishop Stakes G2; 3. Arlington Classic G2, Bel Air Handicap G2
- Cigar - b.c. by Palace Music out of Solar Slew
- 1. NYRA Mile Handicap G1, Donn Handicap G1 - 2x, Gulfstream Park Handicap G1, Oaklawn Handicap G1, Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap G1, Pimlico Special G1, Woodward Stakes G1 - 2x, Jockey Club Gold Cup G1, Breeders' Cup Classic G1, Dubai World Cup (inaug.), Massachusetts Handicap G2 - 2x; 2. Jockey Club Gold Cup G1, Pacific Classic G1, Volante Handicap G2; 3. Breeders' Cup Classic G1. U.S. Champion older horse 1995 & 1996, Horse of the Year 1995 & 1996.
- Elizabeth Bay - b.f. by Mr. Prospector out of Life at the Top
- 2. Coronation Stakes G1; 3. Prix de l'Opera G2. Dam of Bayeux
- Seattle Morn - ch.c. by Grey Dawn out of Tilting
- 2. Illinois Derby G2
- Lakeway - b.f. out of Milliardaire by Alydar
- 1. Las Virgenes Stakes G1, Santa Anita Oaks G1, Hollywood Oaks G1, Mother Goose Stakes G1, Churchill Downs BC Handicap G2; 2. Kentucky Oaks G1, Alabama Stakes G1, Chula Vista Handicap G2; 3. Beldame Stakes G1, Breeders' Cup Distaff G1. Dam of Flying Spur, granddam of Mushka.
- Taiki Blizzard - dkb.c. out of Tree of Knowledge by Sassafras
- 1. Yasuda Kinen G1, Sankei Osaka Hai G2, Keio Hai Spring Cup G2; 2. Takarazuka Kinen G1, Arima Kinen G1, Yasuda Kinen G1, Keio Hai Spring Cup G2; 3. Yasuda Kinen G1
- Top Rung - b.f. out of Feature Price by Quack
- 1. La Brea Stakes G2, Lady's Secret BC Handicap G2; 2. Vanity Handicap G1, Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap G1, Chula Vista Handicap G2; 3. Vanity Handicap G1, Santa Maria Handicap G1, Hawthorne Handicap G2
- Jade Flush - ch.f. by Jade Hunter out of Royal Strait Flush
- 1. Rare Perfume Handicap G2; 2. Spinster Stakes G1, Molly Pitcher Handicap G2, Louisville BC Handicap G2; 3. Bonnie Miss Stakes G2, Rampart Handicap G2. Dam of Megantic and Jade Queen.
- Mutakddim - ch.c. by Seeking the Gold out of Oscillate
- 3. Sandown Park Mile G2
- Ocean Crest - dkb.c. by Storm Bird out of S S Aroma
- 1. Del Mar Derby G2
- Redoubtable - b.c. by Grey Dawn out of Seattle Rockette
- 3. Middle Park Stakes G1, 5. Dewhurst Stakes G1
- Slew Gin Fizz - gr.c. by Relaunch out of Slew Princess
- 2. Hopeful Stakes G1, Saratoga Special Stakes G2; 3. Riva Ridge Stakes G2
- Sleep Easy - b.f. out of Dokki by Northern Dancer
- 1. Hollywood Oaks G1, Railbird Stakes G2; 2. Del Mar Oaks G1, Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap G1; 3. Princess Stakes G2, Lady's Secret BC Handicap G2. Granddam of Slumber.
- Slewvera - dkb.f. out of Hedgeabout by Riva Ridge
- 2. Palomar Handicap G2. Dam of Boboman.
- Admiralty - dkb.c. by Strawberry Road out of Savannah Slew
- 3. Brooklyn Handicap G2
- Alami - b.c. by Danzig out of Alchaasibiyeh
- 3. Champagne Stakes G2
- Hishi Akebono - dkb.c. by Woodman out of Mysteries
- 1. Sprinters Stakes G1, Swan Stakes G2; 3. Mile Championship G1, Yasuda Kinen G1, Takamatsunomiya Hai G1. Japanese champion sprinter.
- Houston Connection - b.c. by Alysheba out of Lassie Connection
- 3. Summer Stakes G2
- Igotrhythm - b.f. by Dixieland Band out of Slew Princess
- 1. A Gleam Handicap G2; 2. First Flight Handicap G2
- Red Carnival - b.f. by Mr. Prospector out of Seaside Attraction
- 3. Challenge Stakes G2. Dam of Carnival Dancer, Funfair and Desert Lord.
- Smooth Charmer - ch.f. by Easy Goer out of Oscillate
- 2. Shuvee Handicap G1
- Dr. Caton - b.c. out of Won't She Tell by Banner Sport
- 2. Haskell Invitational Handicap G1
- Hishi Natalie - dkb.f. out of Devil's Sister by Alleged
- 1. Hanshin Himba Tokubetsu G2
- Sea Hill - b.f. out of Featherhill by Lyphard
- Dam of Underwater and Legerete, granddam of Iron Lips, Falco and Pilote.
- Weekend in Seattle - b.f. out of Weekend Surprise by Secretariat
- 3. CCA Oaks G1. Dam of Mambo In Seattle, granddam of Sky Kingdom.
- Escena - dkb.f. by Strawberry Road out of Claxton's Slew
- 1. Ramona Handicap G1, Apple Blossom Handicap G1, Vanity Handicap G1, Breeders' Cup Distaff G1, Fantasy Stakes G2, Louisville BC Handicap G2; 2. Kentukcy Oaks G1, Mother Goose Stakes G1, Alabama Stakes G1, Gazelle Handicap G1, Go For Wand Handicap G1, Bonnie Miss Stakes G2, Louisville BC Handicap G2, Rampart Handicap G2; 3. Breeders' Cup Distaff G1, Demoiselle Stakes G2, Shuvee Handicap G2. U.S. Champion older mare 1998.
- Fortitude - br.c. by Cure the Blues out of Outlasting
- 2. National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Handicap G2
- Golden Attraction - b.f. by Mr. Prospector out of Seaside Attraction
- 1. Spinaway Stakes G1, Matron Stakes G1, Frizette Stakes G1, Schuylerville Stakes G2; 3. Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies G1. U.S. Champion two-year-old filly.
- Seattle Special - dkb.f. by Nureyev out of O Slewmova
- 3. Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte G2
- Tokyo Seattle - ch.c. by Deputy Minister out of City Dance
- 1. Tokyo Daishoten G1, Tokai Kikuka Sho G2; 2. Tokai Stakes G2; 3. Kawasaki Kinen G1, Oguri Cap Kinen G2
- If Angels Sang - b.f. out of Chapel of Dreams by Northern Dancer
- Dam of Tale of a Champion and Mr. Roary, granddam of Odeon.
- Seaking the Pearl - b.f. by Seeking the Gold out of Page Proof
- 1. NHK Mile Cup G1, Prix Maurice de Gheest G1, New Zealand Trophy G2, Daily Hai Sansai Stakes G2; 2. Sprinters Stakes G1, Takamatsunomiya Kinen G1; 3. Yasuda Kinen G1, Rose Stakes G2. Dam of Seeking the Dia
- Slew of Reality - dkb.f. by Political Ambition out of Slew of Reasons
- 1. Gran Premio Jorge de Atucha G1, Gran Premio Saturnino J. Unzue G1, Gran Premio Carrera de Las Estrellas Juvenile Fillies G1; 2. Gran Premio Gilberto Lerena G1. Argentinian champion two-year-old filly.
- Stormin Fever - br./bl.c. by Storm Cat out of Pennant Fever
- 2. Vosburgh Stakes G1 - 2x, Philip H. Iselin Handicap G2; 3. Withers Stakes G2
- Cambodian - dkb.c. by Roanoke x Peterhof
- 3. Curragh International Stakes G2
- Event of the Year - dkb.c. out of CLassic Event by Mr. Prospector
- 1. Jim Beam Stakes G2, Strub Stakes G2; 2. Santa Anita Handicap G1, San Fernando BC Stakes G2; 3. Malibu Stakes G1
- Agnes World - dkb.c. by Danzig out of Mysteries
- 1. Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp G1, July Cup G1, Zen-Nippon Nisai Yushun G2, CBC Sho G2; 2. Sprinters Stakes G1 - 2x, King's Stand Stakes G2; 3. Takamatsunomiya Kinen G1
- Brulay - b.f. by Rubiano out of Charming Lassie
- 2. Princess Stakes G2
- Cape Town - b.c. by Seeking the Gold out of Seaside Attraction
- 1. Florida Derby G1; 3. Blue Grass Stakes G2
- Jess M - b.g. by Strawberry Road out of Slew Boyera
- 3. Hopeful Stakes G1
- Prowl - b.g. by Marauding out of Matins
- 1. Golden Slipper Stakes G1; 2. Maribyrnong Plate G2, STC Canterbury Stakes G2; AJC Sires Produce Stakes G1
- Social Charter - b.c. by Nureyev out of Aunt Pearl
- 1. Eclipse Stakes G2; 2. Kentucky Cup Classic Handicap G2; 3. Suburban Handicap G2
- El Condor Pasa - dkb.c. by Kingmambo x Sadler's Wells
- 1. NHK Mile Cup G1, Japan Cup G1, Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud G1, New Zealand Trophy G2; 2. Prix d'Ispahan G1, Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe G1, Mainichi Okan G2
- Elaborate - ch.g. by Gilded Time x Gulch
- 1. Triple Bend BC Handicap G2; 3. Ancient Title BC Handicap G1, San Antonio Handicap G2, Triple Bend BC Handicap G2, Potrero Grande BC Handicap G2
- Matikane Kinnohosi - b.c. out of Alysbelle by Alydar
- 1. America Jockey Club Cup G2, Copa Republica Argentina G2; 2. Meguro Kinen G2, Nikkei Sho G2, Kyoto Kinen G2
- Astra - b.f. by Theatrical out of Savannah Slew
- 1. Gamely BC Handicap G1 - 2x, Beverly Hills Handicap G1 - 2x, Santa Barbara Handicap G2 - 2x; 2. Beverly D. Stakes G1; 3. Santa Ana Handicap G2
- Lemon Drop Kid - b.c. by Kingmambo out of Charming Lassie
- 1. Futurity Stakes G1, Belmont Stakes G1, Travers Stakes G1, Woodward Stakes G1, Whitney Handicap G1, Brooklyn Handicap G2, Suburban Handicap G2; 2. Champagne Stakes G1, Jim Dandy Stakes G2; 3. Pimlico Special G1, Peter Pan Stakes G2. U.S. Champion older male 2000.
- Chief Seattle - dkb.c. out of Skatingonthinice by Icecapade
- 2. Breeders' Cup Juvenile G1, Champagne Stakes G1; 4. Futurity Stakes G1
- Highbury - b.f. out of Quillummo by Gummo
- Granddam of Soft Falling Rain, Splendid Garden and Let It Rain.
- Surfside - b.f. out of Flanders by Seeking the Gold
- 1. Frizette Stakes G1, Hollywood Starlet Stakes G1, Las Virgenes Stakes G1, Santa Anita Oaks G1, Clark Handicap G2; 2. Spinaway Stakes G1, Breeders' Cup Distaff G1; 3. Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies G1, Santa Monita Handicap G1. U.S. Champion three-year-old filly. Dam of Irish Surf, granddam of High Celebrity.
- Slew the Red - dkb.c. by Red Ransom out of Great Lady Slew
- 2. Prix du Conseil de Paris G2; 3. Dixie Stakes G2
- Settlement - dkb.c. by Kris S. x Mr. Prospector out of Oscillate
- 2. Hopeful Stakes G1; 3. Saratoga Special Stakes G2
- Fleet Renee - dkb.f. out of Darien Miss by Mr. Leader
- 1. Mother Goose Stakes G1, Ashland Stakes G1; 3. Gazelle Handicap G1. Granddam of Hightail.
- Flute - b.f. out of Rougeur by Blushing Groom
- 1. Kentucky Oaks G1, Alabama Stakes G1; 2. Santa Anita Oaks G1, Beldame Stakes G1. Dam of Filimbi, granddam of Weep No More.
- Sahara Slew - b.f. out of Sahara Sun by Alysheba
- 1. Ribblesdale Stakes G2
- Scorpion - b.c. out of Petiteness by Chief's Crown
- 1. Jim Dandy Stakes G1; 2. Saratoga Special Stakes G2; 3. Futurity Stakes G1, Sanford Stakes G2
- Enthused - b.f. by Seeking the Gold out of Magic of Life
- 1. Lowther Stakes G2. Dam of Norman Invader.
- I Rock My World - br.g. by King's Theatre out of Matins
- 1. Wellington Guineas G2; 2. Avondale Guineas G2
- Raging Fever - dkb.f. by Storm Cat out of Pennant Fever
- 1. Frizette Stakes G1, Matron Stakes G1, Ogden Phipps Handicap G1, Adirondack Stakes G2, Distaff BC Handicap G2; 2. Ballerina Handicap G1, Shuvee Handicap G2, Distaff BC Handicap G2; 3. Beaumont Stakes G2, First Flight Handicap G2
- Unbridled Lassie - dkb.f. by Unbridled out of Lassie Connection
- 3. CCA Oaks G1, Bonnie Miss Stakes G2
- Carnival Dancer - b.c. by Sadler's Wells x Mr. Prospector out of Seaside Attraction
- 2. Champion Stakes G1; 3. Prix d'Ispahan G1
- Megantic - b.c. by Theatrical x Jade Hunter out of Royal Strait Flush
- 3. Pan American Handicap G2
- Seasons Greetings - b.f. by Ezzoud x Mr. Prospector out of Life at the Top
- 2. Prix du Gros-Chene G2
- Startac - b.c. by Theatrical x Mr. Prospector out of Royal Strait Flush
- 1. Secretariat Stakes G1, Belmont BC Handicap G2
- Alternate - gr.f. out of Strike a Balance by Green Dancer
- 2. Monmouth BC Oaks G2
- Sea of Showers - b.f. out of Chimes of Freedom by Private Account
- 3. Prix de Sandringham G2
- Demeteor - dkb.g. by Dehere out of Seattle Meteor
- 2. W.L. McKnight Handicap G2
- Leo's Luckyman - dkb.c. by Woodman out of Leo's Lucky Lady
- 3. Champagne Stakes G2
- Seattle Fitz - dkb.c. by Fitzcarraldo out of Hug a Slew
- 1. Brooklyn Handicap G2; 2. Donn Handicap G1
- Stydahar - b.c. by Theatrical out of Royal Strait Flush
- 3. Prix Noailles G2
- Dr. Arbatach - dkb.g. by Smart Strike x Nureyev out of Hail Atlantis
- 1. Jose de Diego G1; 2. Clasico Rotativo G1
- Dubai Destination - b.c. by Kingmambo x Alleged out of Mysteries
- 1. Champagne Stakes G2, Queen Anne Stakes G2
- Funfair - b.g. by Singspiel x Mr. Prospector out of Seaside Attraction
- 1. Kelso BC Handicap G2
- Loving Kindness - dkb.f. out of Coup de Genie by Mr. Prospector
- 3. Prix Morny G1
- Tomahawk - dkb.c. out of Statuette by Pancho Villa
- 2. Middle Park Stakes G1, Dewhurst Stakes G1
- Vindication - dkb.c. out of Strawberry Reason by Strawberry Road
- 1. Breeders' Cup Juvenile. U.S. Champion two-year-old colt.
- Country Reel - dkb.c. by Danzig out of Country Belle
- 1. Gimcrack Stakes G2
- Fantastica Roma - b.f. by Romanov out of Hug a Slew
- 2. Clasico Polla de Potrancas G2
- Offlee Wild - blk.c. by Wild Again out of Alvear
- 1. Suburban Handicap G1, Massachusetts Handicap G2; 3. Blue Grass Stakes G1
- Statue of Liberty - dkb.c. by Storm Cat out of Charming Lassie
- 2. Goodwood Stakes G1
- Underwater - b.f. by Theatrical out of Sea Hill
- 2. Prix de Malleret G2
- Chunyi - b.f. by Sunday Silence x Kris out of Magic of Life
- 2. Yushun Himba G1
- Dai Jin - b.c. by Peintre Celebre x Shirley Heights
- 1. Deutsches Derby G1, Aral-Pokal G1, Union-Rennen G2
- Desert Lord - b.g. by Green Desert x Mr. Prospector out of Seaside Attraction
- 1. Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp G1; 2. Nunthorpe Stakes G1; 3. Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp G1, Temple Stakes G2
- Bachelor Duke - b.c. by Miswaki out of Gossamer
- 1. Irish 2000 Guineas G1, 4. Dewhurst Stakes G1
- Balmont - b.c. by Stravinsky out of Aldebaran Light
- 1. Middle Park Stakes G1, Gimcrack Stakes G2; 3. July Cup G1, Golden Jubilee Stakes G1, Temple Stakes G2
- Boboman - b.c. by Kingmambo out of Slewvera
- 1. Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes G1; 3. Santa Anita Handicap G1, Oaklawn Handicap G2
- Mambo Slew - dkb.f. by Kingmambo out of Slew Boyera
- 2. Lake Placid Handicap G2
- Pearl of Love - b.c. by Peintre Celebre out of Aunt Pearl
- 1. Gran Criterium G1, Futurity Stakes G2; 3. National Stakes G1
- Rave Reviews - b.f. by Sadler's Wells out of Pieds de Plume
- 1. Premio Lydia Tesio G1
- Atlando - b.g. by Hernando x Nureyev out of Hail Atlantis
- 1. San Luis Obispo Handicap G2; 2. San Gabriel Handicap G2
- Bayeux - b.g. by Red Ransom x Mr. Prospector out of Life at the Top
- 2. Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap G2
- Laura's Lucky Boy - dkb.c. by Theatrical x Corridor Key out of Solar Slew
- 2. Oak Tree Derby G2, Del Mar Handicap G2; 3. Clement L. Hirsch Memorial Turf Championship Stakes G1, Del Mar Derby G2
- Lucky Break - b.c. by Geri out of Seattle Rockette
- 2. Tokai Stakes G2
- Menhoubah - b.f. by Dixieland Band x Private Account out of In Full Cry
- 1. Oaks d'Italia G1; 3. Moyglare Stud Stakes G1
- Seeking the Dia - dkb.c. by Storm Cat out of Seeking the Pearl x Seeking the Gold
- 1. New Zealand Trophy G2, Nippon TV Hai G2; 2. Kawasaki Kinen G1 - 2x, February Stakes G1 - 2x, Mile Championship Nambu Hai G1, Japan Cup Dirt G1 - 2x, Tokyo Daishoten G1, JBC Classic G1; 3. Tokyo Daishoten G1
- California Dane - b.c. by Danehill out of Storminwinter
- 1. A.J. Moir Stakes G2, Norman Carlyon Stakes G2
- Montgomery's Arch - dkb.c. by Arch out of Inny River
- 1. Richmond Stakes G2; 3. Dewhurst Stakes G1
- Bandini - dkb.c. by Fusaichi Pegasus x Dixieland Band out of Hail Atlantis
- 1. Blue Grass Stakes G1; 2. Fountain of Youth Stakes G2
- Exceptional Ride - b.c. by Chester House x Dixieland Band
- 3. American Derby G2
- Librettist - b.c. by Danzig x Alleged out of Mysteries
- 1. Prix du Moulin de Longchamp G1, Prix Jacques le Marois G1
- Souvenir Gift - b.f. by Souvenir Copy x Alleged
- 2. Del Mar Debutante G1, Sorrento Stakes G2
- Summerly - ch.f. by Summer Squall x Mr. Prospector
- 1. Kentucky Oaks G1, Fair Grounds Oaks G2; 2. CCA Oaks G1; 3. Mother Goose Stakes G1, Golden Rod Stakes G2
- Kawakami Princess - b.f. by King Halo out of Takano Secretary
- 1. Yushun Himba G1, Shuka Sho G1; 2. Queen Elizabeth II. Commemorative Cup G1; 3. Kinko Sho G2, Sankei Osaka Hai G2. Japanese champion three-year-old filly.
- Sangrita - b.f. by Mr. Greeley out of Alvear
- 1. Chilukki Stakes G2. Dam of Tequilita.
- Supaseus - b.g. by Spinning World out of Supamova
- 3. York Stakes G2
- Frost Giant - ch.c. by Giant's Causeway x Gone West out of Oscillate
- 1. Suburban Handicap G1
- Honey Nov - b.c. by Romanov x Fitzcarraldo out of Hug a Slew
- 1. Grande Premio Miguel A. Martinez de Hoz G1; 2. Gran Premio Copa de Oro G1, Gran Premio Carrera de Las Estrellas Classic G1; 3. Gran Premio General San Martin G1
- Jade Queen - ch.f. by Giant's Causeway x Jade Hunter out of Royal Strait Flush
- 3. Flower Bowl Invitational Handicap G1, Garden City BC Handicap G1
- Neko Bay - dkb.c. by Giant's Causeway x Rubiano out of Charming Lassie
- 1. San Pasqual Stakes G2; 2. Santa Anita Handicap G1
- Wasseema - br.f. by Danzig x Mr. Prospector
- 3. Park Stakes G2
- Gaudeamus - b.f. by Distorted Humor out of Leo's Lucky Lady
- 2. Debutante Stakes G2
- Legerete - b.f. by Rahy out of Sea Hill
- 1. Prix de Malleret G2; 3. Prix Marcel Boussac G1, Prix de l'Opera G1
- Incanto Dream - ch.c. by Galileo x Nureyev out of Hail Atlantis
- 1. Prix Maurice de Nieuil G2; 2. Prix du Cadran G1
- Iron Lips - dkb.f. by Iron Mask x Unbridled out of Sea Hill
- 3. Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte G2
- Panty Raid - dkb.f. by Include x Private Account
- 1. Spinster Stakes G1, American Oaks Invitational Stakes G1, Black-Eyed Susan Stakes G2; 3. Falls City Handicap G2
- Alwajeeha - b.f. by Dixieland Band out of Ridaa
- 1. Queen Elizabeth II. Challenge Cup Invitational Stakes G1
- Greenspring - b.c. by Orientate out of Violet Lady
- 1. General George Handicap G2
- Globetrotter - ch.c. by Street Cry out of Coll Slew
- 2. Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap G1
- Mambo In Seattle - b.c. by Kingmambo out of Weekend In Seattle
- 2. Travers Stakes G1
- Two Step Salsa - dkb.c. by Petionville out of Two to Waltz
- 1. Godolphin Mile G2; 2. Swaps BC Stakes G2
- Calming Influence - dkb.c. by King's Best x Indian Ridge
- 1. Godolphin Mile G2
- Falco - b.c. by Pivotal x Unbridled out of Sea Hill
- 1. Poule d'Essai des Poulains G1
- Mushka - dkb.f. by Empire Maker x Seeking the Gold out of Lakeway
- 1. Spinster Stakes G1, Demoiselle Stakes G2; 2. Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic G1, Sheepshead Bay Handicap G2; 3. Dance Smartly Stakes G2
- Norman Invader - b.c. by War Chant x Seeking the Gold out of Magic of Life
- 2. Criterium de Maisons-Laffitte G2
- Sea Chanter - b.f. by War Chant x Easy Goer out of Oscillate
- 2. Rampart Stakes G2; 3. Ogden Phipps Handicap G1, Shuvee Handicap G2
- Stern Opinion - gr.c. by Mizzen Mast x Nureyev out of Hail Atlantis
- 2. Prix du Petit Couvert G2; 3. Prix du Petit Couvert G2
- Ahla Wasahl - br.f. by Dubai Destination out of In Full Cry
- 3. Cherry Hinton Stakes G2
- Chocolate Candy - b.c. by Candy Ride out of Crownette
- 2. Santa Anita Derby G1; 3. CashCall Futurity G1
- Dangerous Midge - b.c. by Lion Heart out of Adored Slew
- 1. Breeders' Cup Turf G1
- Dynaslew - dkb.f. by Dynaformer out of Slew's Final Answer
- 1. Ballston Spa Handicap G2; 3. Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes G1
- Flying Spur - ch.f. by Giant's Causeway out of Lakeway
- 2. Fair Grounds Oaks G2; 3. Kentucky Oaks G1
- Oiseau de Feu - b.c. by Stravinsky out of Slewadora
- 2. Prix Jean Prat G1
- Reach the Crown - br./bl.c. by Special Week out of Crown Piece
- 1. Milers Cup G2; 3. Nakayama Kinen G2
- Theregoesjojo - b.c. by Brahms out of Slewie Blues
- 2. Fountain of Youth Stakes G2; 3. Florida Derby G1
- Haka - b.f. by Dynaformer x Mr. Prospector
- 2. Las Virgenes Stakes G1
- Eskendereya - ch.c. by Giant's Causeway out of Aldebaran Light
- 1. Wood Memorial Stakes G1, Fountain of Youth Stakes G2
- Sound Barrier - gr.f. by Agnes Digital out of Sleepinginseattle
- 1. Fillies' Revue G2
- Kavanagh - b.g. by Tiger Ridge x Seeking the Gold out of Oscillate
- 1. Golden Horseshoe G1, SA Nursery G2, Hawaii Stakes G2; 2. Premiers Champion Stkaes G1, Gauten Guineas G2; 3. SA CApe Guineas G1
- Worthadd - b.c. by Dubawi x Rahy
- 1. Derby Italiano G2, Premio Parioli G3, Premio Ribot G2, Premio Emilio Turati G2; 2. Lockinge Stakes G1, Meilen Trophy G2; 3. Premio Vittorio di Capua G1
- Slow Pace - b.g. by Distorted Humor out of Slow Down
- 2. Prix Guillaume d'Ornano G2; 3. Grand Prix de Deauville G2
- Tale of a Champion - b.c. by Tale of the Cat out of If Angels Sang
- 1. Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap G2
- Fantastic Royale - b.c. by Val Royal x Romanov out of Hug a Slew
- 1. Gran Premio Comparacion G2; 2.Clasico Miguel A. Martinez de Hoz G1; 3. Gran Premio General San Martin G1, Gran Premio Copa de Plata G1, Gran Premio Comparacion G2
- Hard Life - dkb.f. by Rock Hard Ten x Deputy Minister out of Solar Slew
- 3. Go For Wand Handicap G2
- Nova Hawk - br.f. by Hawk Wing x Sadler's Wells out of Magic of Life
- 2. Coronation Stakes G1; 3. Premio Lydia Tesio G1
- Sakura Gospel - dkb.c. by Sakura President x Cure the Blues out of Slew Princess
- 1. Keio Hai Spring Cup G2; 2. Sprinters Stakes G1
- Slumber - b.c. by Cacique x Woodman out of Sleep Easy
- 1. Manhattan Handicap G1; 2. Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap G1, United Nations Handicap G1, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational Stakes G1, Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap G2; 3. Turf Classic Stakes G1, Mac Diarmida Stakes G2, Pan American Stakes G2
- St. John's River - b.f. by Include x Private Account
- 1. Delaware Oaks G2; 2. Kentucky Oaks G1, Fair Grounds Oaks G2, La Troienne Stakes G2; 3. Fleur de Lis Handicap G2
- Segway - ch.g. by Giant's Causeway out of Slow Down
- 2. Charles Whittingham Stakes G2; 3. Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes G2
- Skyring - b.c. by English Channel out of Violet Lady
- 1. Dixie Stakes G2, Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap G2
- Battle Force - b.c. by Giant's Causeway x Fusaichi Pegasus out of Leo's Lucky Lady
- 2. Sir Beaufort Stakes G2
- Drama Drama - dkb.f. by Lemon Drop Kid x Belong to Me
- 4. Raven Run Stakes G2
- Sky Kingdom - b.c. by Empire Maker x Kingmambo out of Weekend In Seattle
- 3. Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap G1, Brooklyn Invitational Stakes G2
- Soft Falling Rain - b.c. by National Assembly x Giant's Causeway out of Highbury
- 1. SA Nursery G1, Godolphin Mile G2; 2. Godolphin Mile G2, Hungerford Stakes G2
- Warhorse (Tougher Than Ever) - b.c. by General Nediym x Giant's Causeway
- 1. ARC Diamond Stakes G1; 2. STC Apollo Stakes G2; 3. New Zealand 2000 Guineas G1, Manawatu Sires' Produce Stakes G1
- Filimbi - gr.f. by Mizzen Mast out of Flute
- 1. Goldikova Stakes G2; 2. Just a Game Stakes G1, Jenny Wiley Stakes G1; 3. First Lady Stakes G1, Matriarch Stakes G1
- Irish Surf - b.c. by Giant's Causeway out of Surfside
- 2. Breeders' Cup Marathon G2
- Moth - b.f. by Galileo out of Pieds de Plume
- 3. One Thousand Guineas G1
- Eden Praire - dkb.f. by Mizzen Mast x Elusive Quality out of Alvear
- 2. Raven Run Stakes G2
- Frivolous - dkb.f. by Empire Maker x Belong to Me
- 1. Falls City Handicap G2, Fleur de Lis Handicap G2; 2. Delaware Handicap G1
- Hightail - dkb.c. by Mineshaft x Storm Cat out of Fleet Renee
- 1. Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint Stakes
- Pilote - ch.c. by Pivotal x Rahy out of Sea Hill
- 2. Prix Eugene Adam G2
- Secret Number - b.c. by Raven's Pass x Alleged out of Mysteries
- 3. UAE Derby G2, Great Voltigeur Stakes G2
- Sendmylovetorose - b.f. by Bahamian Bounty x Gulch
- 1. Cherry Hinton Stakes G2
- Yahilwa - b.f. by Medaglia d'Oro x Smart Strike
- 2. Clement L. Hirsch Stakes G1, Santa Maria Stakes G2; 3. Spinster Stakes G1, La Canada Stakes G2
- Inara - b.f. by Trippi x Shirley Heights out of Magic of Life
- 1. Majorca Stakes G1 - 2x, Paddock Stakes G1, Empress Club Stakes G1, Garden Province Stakes G1; 2. Cape Fillies Guineas G1, Paddock Stakes G1, KRA Fillies Guineas G2
- Splendid Garden - ch.g. by Black Minnaloushe x Giant's Causeway out of Highbury
- 3. Senor Santa Stakes G2
- Suzuka Devious - dkb.c. by King Kamehameha x Sunday Silence
- 2. Kyoto Kinen G2
- Talco - ch.c. by Pivotal x Diesis
- 1. Shoemaker Mile Stakes G1; 2. Del Mar Mile Handicap G2; 3. Hollywood Derby G1, Del Mar Derby G2
- High Celebrity - b.f. by Invincible Spirit x Storm Cat out of Surfside
- 2. Duke of Cambridgeshire Stakes G2; 3. Cheveley Park Stakes G1
- Let It Rain - b.g. by Dynasty x Giant's Causeway out of Highbury
- 1. Cape Stayers G2
- Tommy Macho - b.c. by Macho Uno x Awesome Again
- 3. Carter Handicap G1, Metropolitan Handicap G1, Dwyer Stakes G2, Pennsylvania Derby G2, Gulfstream Park Handicap G2, Belmont Sprint Championship Stakes G2
- Mr. Roary - ch.g. by Scat Daddy out of If Angels Sang
- 3. Eddie Read Stakes G2
- Odeon - b.g. by Zacinto x Theatrical out of If Angels Sang
- 3. SAJC South Australian Derby G1
- Sunny Ridge - gr.c. by Holy Bull x Songandaprayer
- 2. Champagne Stakes G1, Brooklyn Invitational Handicap G2; 3. Haskell Invitational Stakes G1
- Weep No More - ch.f. by Mineshaft x Storm Cat out of Flute
- 1. Ashland Stakes G1
- Cadenas - b.c. by Deep Impact x French Deputy
- 1. Yayoi Sho G2
- Tequilita - b.f. by Union Rags x Mr. Greeley out of Alvear
- 1. Forward Gal Stakes G2; 2. Gulfstream Park Oaks G2; 3. Test Stakes G1
Seattle Slew's sireline
Many sons of Seattle Slew were good racehorses, and many were also retired to stud. Sadly, most of them quite failed, but even those successful ones, like Slew o'Gold or Capote, weren't able to continue the line. The only exception was A.P. Indy, who somehow defied all pedigree assumptions and became - unlike his sire, damsire and the third sire - a very good sire of sires. And, of course, also the paternal grandsire of the hottest sire of today, Tapit, who seems to be the next crown prince of the dynasty.
It would be unfair to leave out the second star of the line, the double Horse of the Year California Chrome, who is descendant of A.P. Indy via much less fashionable sire Lucky Pulpit. California Chrome entered stud in 2017, but his great performances and huge expectations from him at stud earned him a well-deserved place in this scheme.
- Seattle Slew, 1974
- Slew O'Gold, 1980
- Slewacide, 1980
- Slewpy, 1980
- Seattle Song, 1981
- Tsunami Slew, 1981
- Gold Meridian, 1982
- Khozaam, 1982NZ
- Air de France, 1984AUS
- Capote, 1984
- Slew City Slew, 1984
- Fast Play, 1986
- Houston, 1986
- Septieme Ciel, 1987
- Avenue of Flags, 1988
- General Meeting, 1988
- A.P. Indy, 1989
- Pulpit, 1994
- Sky Mesa, 2000
- Lucky Pulpit, 2001
- California Chrome, 2011
- Tapit, 2001
- Trappe Shot, 20007
- Tapizar, 2008
- Hansen, 2009
- Tapiture, 2011
- Tonalist, 2011
- Frosted, 2012
- Creator, 2013
- Old Trieste, 1995
- Stephen Got Even, 1996
- Aptitude, 1997
- Malibu Moon, 1997
- Indygo Shiner, 1998
- Flatter, 1999
- Jump Start, 1999
- Mineshaft, 1999
- Congrats, 2000
- Bernardini, 2003
- Majestic Warrior, 2005
- Pulpit, 1994
- Vindication, 2000
Timelines of Seattle Slew's most important descendants
Despite their limited success, the era of Slew's sons at stud lasted about two decades. At the turn of the century, they were completely replaced by sons and grandsons of A.P. Indy - and in the 2010s, a brand new era began with sons of Tapit coming to stud.
|S. City S.|
|Slew City Slew|
|Avenue of Flags|
|Slew City Slew|
|Avenue of Flags|
|Stephen Got Even|
|Stephen Got Even|